Welcome to Organizing your Heart and Home 2011!
Today my sister, Traci at Beneath my Heart will be organizing her craft closet so make sure you hop over and check it out!
I’m Organizing your Heart and today we’re going to work on our Quiet Time.
As I thought about this post my heart has been heavy as I listened to the news coverage on the shootings in Arizona.
I have been praying for the families that have been affected and I’m reminded how quickly………..
Life can change……
and we need to be prepared.
Having a consistent Quiet Time can make a difference in how we handle this journey we’re on.
What can we do to make sure we spend time in God’s word every day?
Colossians 3:22 reminds us, “Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.”
Here are three tips to help Organize your Quiet Time and set your mind on things above:
1. Pick a Time and Place to study His Word.
I like to do my quiet time first thing in the morning before anyone else wakes up. Pick a time that works best for you and then stick with it.
As I make my coffee (a must for me, the Lord doesn’t even want to talk to me before I’ve had my coffee!) I’m reminded that the Lord is inviting me to spend time with Him.
So before I do anything I head to my dining room. I like a bright room and my dining room has a large window (although right now it’s still dark outside. Come on Summer!)
I also have plenty of room to spread my stuff out. Find a place that you can get comfortable and meet with Him there every day.
2. Use the Right Resources.
1.The Bible-this is a given. I use the New International Version most of the time but you find the version that works best for you.
2. A Journal-Keep a journal of what you’re learning as you read the scripture. I also journal my prayer requests but we’ll talk more about that next week.
3. A Reading Plan-There are many resources to help you read through the Bible. The main thing is have a plan. This year I’m going to read through the New Testament. I also have a devotional book I use everyday……….Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.
4. A Calendar-I recently read this and thought it was a great idea! As you’re spending time reading scripture you’re going to think of something you need to do that day such as, pick up the laundry, go to the grocery etc. Don’t let it be a distraction! Write it down and then go right back to your quiet time. If you don’t have a calendar just write it on a piece of paper.
3. Keep it Simple.
Don’t be too hard on yourself. Study, Journal and Pray. This is not a to-do list to be checked off. This is a special time to grow in your relationship with Christ. Enjoy it!!
*Now for the Giveaway!!*
Because I love my devotional book, Jesus Calling by Sarah Young, I want you to have one. So I’m giving one away!!!
Enter to win: (required entry)
- Leave a comment and tell me anything!
2 Bonus Entries:
- Subscribe to my blog, or become a google follower and leave me a comment. If you’re already a subscriber or follower (thank you!) simply leave a comment and tell me.
- Tweet about this giveaway and come back and tell me about it in a separate comment.
This giveaway will end on Thursday (1/13) at 9 PM EST. The winner will be drawn at random, and notified via email.
Thanks for stopping by and make sure you visit Beneath my Heart and get that closet Organized!