You may be surprised to find that many of your favorite conventional sunless tanners are filled with nasty ingredients that can cause a disruption to your endocrine system or give you an allergic reaction.
For several years, I have been on the hunt to find a healthy alternative to conventional sunless tanners. They aren’t easy to find but I have found a few that work well.
Like most of you, I’ve used tanning lotions that gave me orange and streaky legs and tanning lotions that smell horrible.
I’m not an expert but I’ll share with you what I use and how I apply it. I DO NOT do tanning beds ever! I have two that I have used and one I recently purchased.
1. Vita Liberata (4 stars on Amazon) is a non-toxic self-tanning mousse and is free of parabens, perfume, alcohol, and all chemicals of concern and it also contains Odor Remove technology to ensure that you don’t get that gross self tanner scent (and it totally works by the way!).
I really like this mousse. It comes in three different shades, light, medium and dark. I am using the medium. It does NOT smell.
I apply this one 3 times in a 2 to 3 day period and it lasts for about a week.
2. Beauty by Earth (4 1/2 stars on Amazon) has no phthalates, parabens, artificial fragrances, or anything else that has the potential to harm your health. It has the best natural and organic ingredients out there.
Beauty by Earth is a white lotion and it comes in one shade and tans dark. I mix a small amount of regular lotion when applying this one because it gets dark. It has a very light smell of aloe vera. I barely notice any scent at all. I apply it one time and it lasts 3 to 4 days.
3. Eco Tan Invisible tan-(4 1/2 stars on Amazon) I have not used this one yet but I have ordered it. I will let you know what I think soon!
How I apply my self tanner:
- The day before I use my self tanner (or you can do this the night before), I use my coconut oil and sugar scrub to exfoliate my body. (I make this at home with coconut oil and I use organic sugar because it’s coarse.)
- The next day I apply a thin, even layer to small sections at a time. I apply it to each leg in three sections (ankle/foot, lower leg area, upper leg area). I do the same for may arms, small sections. Make sure you get the back of your arms and your chest.
- I don’t apply self tanner to my face. I’m picky about what I put on my face and I don’t like the way they feel. I use foundation and Bare Minerals bronzer.
- Using a mitt helps the lotions go on smoother and helps it not stain your palms.
Are you ready to start using sunless tanners?
Thank you for taking time out of your day to stop by my blog. If you don’t want to miss a post, you can sign up to receive my daily emails and you’ll never miss a thing. I’m also on Facebook, Pinterest and my favorite one, Instagram.
Beauty for the Heart~~Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul? Why are you crying the blues? Fix my eyes on God—soon I’ll be praising again. He puts a smile on my face. He’s my God. Psalm 42:5 (The Message)
The best cure when you’re feeling down? Seek God!
Have a blessed day!
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on what that means, see my About Page: Blog Compensation and Disclosure.