The cold, dreary days of winter are long gone, which means most of us will be spending more time outdoors. Whether you like to spend your time outside gardening, golfing, entertaining friends by the pool, or chasing grandkids at the playground, protecting your skin from the harsh summer sun and harmful UV rays is important. Today, I’m chatting about the best sunscreens for women over 40, including my recommendations for your face, scalp, body, and lips!
Another way that I protect my skin is by skipping the tanning bed in favor of a glowing faux tan. You can read about my favorite self-tanners and how I get a great at-home tan here.
You might also like to check out these posts for some more tips and recommendations for women over 40:
- Best Moisturizers for Women Over 40
- Affordable Amazon Swimsuits for Women Over 40
- 5 Tips for Wearing Shorts Over 40
Now, let’s chat about the best sunscreens for women over 40.
Best Sunscreen for Your Face for Women Over 40
I’ve recently started using this one after seeing Angie from Hot and Flashy share it. I’m loving it so far.
My assistant loves this invisible, weightless, and scentless sunscreen. She’s used it for about 3 years and hasn’t looked back. It’s the perfect primer for your makeup and doesn’t break you out. Plus, it goes on super smooth and is water and sweat-resistant for 40 minutes. The other one she also recommends is the Glow Screen. She mentioned that she likes the shimmer and tint to this one for the days she isn’t wearing makeup. Although you can layer it under your foundation.
So many of you recommended this face sunscreen in my Facebook group! It was designed initially for people with rosacea and acne, and it also comes in a tinted version that dermatologists highly favor. I’m sharing some of your reviews below.
“It soaks in well and gives good coverage while looking dewy.”
“It’s sheer & lightweight also moisturizing, great for sensitive skin.”
Best Sunscreen for Your Body for Women Over 40
I know there are a lot of options out there for sunscreen to use on your body! At the end of the day, the best sunscreen is the one that you will actually use. I’ve included a few favorites below that I use or have heard really good things about. Many of them you can pick up at your local stores like Target or even Whole Foods.
- Alba Botanica: This is the one spray that my assistant uses. She lives in Florida and is very fair skinned, so I trust her rec on this.
- Blue Lizard
- Hawaiian Tropic
Best Sunscreen for Your Scalp for Women Over 40
One of the spots that I always forget to protect is my scalp. Now, the easiest way to ensure it doesn’t get burned is to wear a baseball hat or sun hat with UPF 50+ in it. But if you prefer to go without a hat for long periods in the sun, I recommend grabbing one of the scalp sunscreens below. The ones that I found supposedly don’t make your scalp greasy. I’m going to give them a try and report back!
- COOLA Organic Scalp Spray & Hair Sunscreen Mist, Skin Care for Daily Protection, Broad Spectrum SPF 30, Ocean Salted Sage, 2 Fl Oz
- Sun Bum Original SPF 30 Sunscreen Scalp and Hair Mist I Vegan and Reef Friendly (Octinoxate Oxybenzone Free) I Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB Sunscreen Spray with Vitamin E I 2 OZ
Best SPF Lip Balms
Another area I forget that can burn is my lips. There are many lip balms out there that have SPF in them, making it easy to apply. It really comes down to a personal preference of what you like! I’ve included a few of the most popular ones below:
- Sun Bum Mineral Sunscreen Lip Balm (SPF 30)
- Supergoop! Play Lib Palm (SPF 30)
- Aquaphor Lip Protectant Balm (SPF 30)
What to Use if You Get a Sunburn
While no one ever plans on getting burnt, it does happen! I like to keep something on hand, just in case. Here are some of the top items out there to help keep your skin moisturized and relieve some of the pain.
- For Your Face: Sunburnt Ultra-Hydrating Face Sheet Mask, Advanced Sun Recovery, Treat Dry Sun Damaged Skin, For After Sun Exposure, Much More than Aloe, Soothes and Rehydrates Hot Dry Skin (4 single use masks)
- For Your Body:
- EMCW9 Ultra Hydrating Aloe Vera Gel by Sunburnt 6 Ounce,Clear,SUNB21006
- Burt’s Bees Lotion, Hydrating Aloe & Coconut Oil Sun Burn Relief, Natural After Sun Soother, 6 Ounce (Packaging May Vary)
- Spray Version: Sun Bum Cool Down Aloe Vera Spray | Vegan and Hypoallergenic After Sun Care with Cocoa Butter to Soothe and Hydrate Sunburn Pain Relief | 6 oz](Sun Bum Cool Down Aloe Vera Spray | Vegan and Hypoallergenic After Sun Care with Cocoa Butter to Soothe and Hydrate Sunburn Pain Relief | 6 oz
- Sun Bum Cool Down Aloe Vera Lotion | Vegan and Hypoallergenic After Sun Care with Cocoa Butter to Soothe and Hydrate Sunburn Pain Relief | 8 oz
Best Sunscreen Tool for Your Grandkids
Now, I know this may not be relevant for everyone, but I had to share. Since we have a pool in our backyard, the grandkids come over and love spending time in it and running around outside. But, that also means that I have to endure the fight of putting sunscreen on them if Courtney isn’t there. If you’ve ever had to do that, you know hard it can be when they are squirming around. I’ve been seeing this sunscreen applicator going around, and I think I’m going to order it to try! All you do is add your own sunscreen lotion into it and then use the refillable roll on sponge applicator to apply. You can even give them one to hold while you use are applying. Genius!
- Duo PB Solar Buddies Refillable Roll On Sponge Applicator For Kids, Adults, Families, Travel Size Holds 100ml Travel Friendly for Sunscreen, Suncream, and Lotions
Shop More of the Best Sunscreens for Women Over 40:
Beauty For the Heart™–May God give you more and more mercy, peace, and love. Jude 1:2
Truth: Mercy- I’m thankful that He gives more and more mercy.
Peace- Couldn’t we all use some peace? I want peace in my home and peace in our world.
Love- While the world is trying to divide us, we need to show the love of Jesus.
Let your beauty shine from the inside out today!
This post contains affiliate links. All opinions are my own. For more information on what that means, see my Privacy page.