If Christmas could be summed up in one word, I think it would be love. Love is shown by a baby that came down from heaven to change us forever. (The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. John 1:14)
As we think about love, it’s easy to think about loving those who love us. It’s easy to love people who think or act like us.
But what about the people who are different than us, the people who may not be kind to us? True love is demonstrated when we show love to those who haven’t acted so lovely.
The more we look to Jesus, the more we become like him, and the more we will love like him.
Scripture reminds us over and over again to love well.
- By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another. John 13:35
- We love because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19
- Let all that you do be done in love. 1 Corinthians 6:14
- And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. Colossians 3:14
- Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 1 John 4:7-8
Rick Warren, the pastor of Saddleback Church, says, We were created in God’s image to do two things on Earth: Learn to love God and learn to love other people. Life is all about love.
This Christmas, give the gift of love to a prodigal child, estranged relative, or someone who has treated you unkindly.
Let’s strive to love like Christ this Christmas season!
Let your beauty shine from the inside out today!