Last Sunday at church, our pastor preached on HOPE. I left feeling so encouraged and I’m sharing some of what he said below. If you’re feeling hopeless today I pray you will read on and know there’s hope in difficult seasons.
I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, that I also may be cheered when I receive news about you. Philippines 2:19
The apostle Paul was writing this letter to the church in Philippi from prison. Paul had done nothing to deserve imprisonment except public proclamation of the gospel.
He could not be with the church in person, but he longed for news of their well-being. He also wanted to send them his trusted friend and co-worker, Timothy, to encourage and help them in their ministry.
The first six words in Philippians 2:19 are what we’re focusing on today…I hope in the Lord Jesus. Paul had hope, even in prison.
Not all our prisons are made out of brick & mortar, iron, and razor wire.
Some of us are in different prisons:
- Some prisons are made from difficult seasons in marriage.
- Some prisons are made from cancer cells.
- Some prisons are from debilitating debt where there’s more debt than money.
- Some prisons are from unending sorrow from the loss of someone we love.
- Some prisons are from bullies who do their best to try and destroy us on social media.
- Some are from addiction or decisions that our adult children are making that we feel helpless to step in and help.
We all face seasons where we feel trapped or incarcerated by unpleasant circumstances, and there seems to be no parole.
The question we ask is: Is there hope for this season of my life?
Sometimes, the prison we’re in keeps us from hearing God’s voice, so here are 5 promises you need to know:
- God will never leave you.
The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Deuteronomy 31:8
- He knows your future.
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
- The Lord fight for you.
The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still. Exodus 14:14
- God will give you peace.
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7
- He loves you, and nothing you do will make him love you any less.
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever. 1 Chronicles 16;34
God wants you to know that whatever prison you find yourself in today, there is hope.
The same God who created the heaven and the earth is the same God who wants to give you hope today!
Let your beauty shine from the inside out today!