I’m not sure if staying active and motivated after 50 is trending or if it’s popping up everywhere because that happens to be my age range, but it seems to be a hot topic for women who are over 50 these days.
Gone are the days of feeling like the second half of our life has to be boring and less active. Women over 50 are realizing they can take full advantage of this stage of life, and it can be exciting.
You don’t have to run a marathon or give up delicious food. You can easily create healthy habits for a healthier lifestyle and feel great! I’m all about baby steps. Start small, but START!
Staying Active and Motivated After 50
1. Get Sleep – The older I get, the more I realize the importance of sleep. Sleep is connected to our productivity and even our eating habits. Sleep is crucial, yet it can be hard to get as we age. How many times have you woken up at 3 am?
Dr. James DiNicolantonio says, “As soon as your sleep goes, everything else goes….. Your health, your performance, your mood…..everything. Don’t neglect your sleep, or you will literally become a different person. And I guarantee you won’t like that person. “
Staying active during the day can help you have a better night’s sleep. I also take Magnesium (Glycinate) at night, which also helps.
The benefits of a good night’s sleep are:
- Get sick less often.
- Stay at a healthy weight.
- Lower your risk for serious health problems, like diabetes and heart disease.
- Reduce stress and improve your mood.
I track my sleep with my Oura Ring. My goal is to get a good amount of REM and Deep Sleep each night.
2. Eat clean. What you eat is key to staying healthy, feeling good, and looking fit in your 50s and beyond. It’s important to eat foods with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
I also like to drink clean coffee; this is my favorite brand.
Here are a few foods I love to eat:
- Greek Yogurt
- Nut butter
3. Drink plenty of water. Water helps with every function of the body. As we age, water’s health benefits become even more important for energy, kidney function, and so much more.
I drink water throughout the day and love adding Re-Lyte to my water (I usually add it twice daily).
4. Exercising regularly. Just 30 minutes a day gives your metabolism a jump start. You don’t have to join a gym to exercise. There are plenty of workout programs online.
Strength training has so many benefits, especially as we age. It helps prevent losing muscle mass, improves arthritis symptoms, prevents osteoporosis and diabetes, and lowers the body fat percentage. Of course, walking is great too!
If you’re looking for some home workouts, check out Pamela Reif.
5. Eat More Protein – I try to eat more protein (over 100 grams) and fewer carbs. That doesn’t mean I don’t eat carbs, but I try to watch my carb intake. Protein makes you feel full, helps with muscle mass, boosts metabolism, can help you lose weight, and generally helps you stay fit as you age.
Staying Active and Motivated After 50 | Workout Gear
Since moving our body is key as we age, having workout gear at home is a great option to get us moving. Set aside time, even if it’s just 15 minutes to workout with weights.
Staying Active and Motivated After 50 | Activewear-Leggings
Leggings are a staple athleisure item. These are some of my favorite quality leggings, and they’re reasonably priced.
Staying Active and Motivated After 50 | Activewear- Tops & Sports Bras
These are some of my favorite tank tops and sports bras. I also like to wear sweatshirts and jackets during cold weather months.
What are your tips for staying active and motivated after 50? Share them in the comments below!
Beauty For the Heart™– She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong. Proverbs 31:17
Truth: The Proverbs 31 women stays active and dresses herself in strength. How do we “dress ourselves” in strength?
We fuel our minds with God’s word. We nurture our bodies with care and make healthy choices. We practice forgiveness and compassion.
Let your beauty shine from the inside out today!
*Disclosure: The links in this post are affiliate links, meaning I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase at no additional cost to you. Thank you so much for your support!